It’s been written that we have nothing to fear for the future, except when we forget the way God has led us in the past. The congregation of Crosspoint Church has watched God lead through founders Roy and Barbara Gerald.
It was February 19, 1953, when the Geralds began their ministry in St. Louis with a sparse group that met in a small building on Clyde Avenue. With growth came the need to find more permanent quarter and in 1963, a new facility was built in a fast-growing area of St. Louis County on Telegraph Road. During the next twenty years the church continued to grow. A K-12 school was founded as well as a daycare. With its rich Pentecostal heritage, the church fostered the spiritual development of various ministers and leaders who are currently serving around the world.
After a time of transition, including holding services in a shopping center and a banquet center, the church was able to purchase property on Kerth Road in 1993. By June of 1995, the congregation moved into their new building.
“Having seen and experienced changes in so many lives has been an awesome experience,” said Pastor Gerald. “God’s word was fulfilled with lives transformed by the presence of God.”
Pastor Gerald had been listening to God’s word from an early age when he was called into the ministry. Born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in 1931, he graduated from Baton Rouge High School in 1948 and attended college in Mississippi and Minnesota. It was in Mississippi that he met Barbara, who was a student music teacher. They were married in June of 1951.
In addition to serving a growing congregation, the Geralds raised two children who have continued their parents’ work in Christian ministry, one of whom is Pastor Kevin Gerald of Champions Centre headquartered in Tacoma, Washington, with a multi-campus extended congregation.
In February 2006, when the Geralds retired as senior pastors, our congregation recognized their ministry by conferring on them the title of Bishop and Lady Gerald. Previously the church’s music minister, Shawn Craig was ordained as Lead Pastor of South County Christian Center on February 19, 2006. After Shawn Craig married Becki Trueblood on November 3, 2006, he shared with our congregation this exemplary Christian woman who has blessed Crosspoint with her talents, devotion to Christ and effusive joy.
On March 19, 2007, Lady Barbara Gerald entered her eternal rest surrounded by her family. Bishop Roy Gerald continues to travel and minister at churches, Bible colleges and various missions around the globe.
With a vision that required larger facilities to accommodate a growing congregation, the church purchased a new campus at 5001 Little Rock Road, a few miles north along Interstate 55, on June 2, 2008. Following renovations, the congregation celebrated its first service in the facilities on October 12, 2008. The church changed its name to Crosspoint Church on April 12, 2011.
Seeking to extend in the St. Louis area Crosspoint’s devotion to the worship of Jesus Christ and His Word, the church expanded into a second location at Central Elementary School in O’Fallon, IL, conducting its first multi-site service on September 28, 2014. David Verret became the campus pastor. Crosspoint recognizes this extension of its mission as “one church, multiple campuses.”
Crosspoint anticipates future growth and ministry opportunities, both within the St. Louis region and in partnership with other ministries worldwide.